Italy set for players` strike as last-ditch talks
Rome: Italy looked almost certain to face a players` strike after last-minute talks on Thursday, 48 hours ahead of the scheduled start of the Serie A season, failed to reach an agreement between the players and the clubs.
Serie A president Maurizio Beretta said the clubs had rejected a proposal from the Italian FA, which has tried to mediate the dispute, aimed at ending a dispute over players` rights.
"The proposal.....does not make Serie A change its position, we hope that the Italian Players Union (AIC) calls off the strike and accepts our proposal in its integrity," Beretta said in a statement on the league`s web site (legaseriea.it).
The AIC has already said there will be no matches if a new agreement is not signed by the clubs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'