It`s a sell-out. KPL earns Rs35cr in first round: DNA
Bangalore: The state`s builders turned out to be the biggest winners at the Karnataka Premier League auction held at the Chinnaswamy Stadium on Wednesday.
The Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) earned a whopping Rs 35 crore, which is a big amount for state cricket. The KSCA received 22 potential bidders, which included corporate biggies like the PESIT, BM Enterprises, Fortuna Projects, Advaith Motors, politician KC Kondaiah and RGA Software Systems.
The minimum bid amount was Rs one crore for a term of five years, Team Bangalore Urban fetched the biggest prize, a mind-blowing Rs7.2 crore. It was bought by the Brigade Group. Team Bangalore Rural was bought by their rivals Mel Mont Constructions of the Purvankara group for Rs5.55 crore.
Brigade group were up against Vivid Creations and Nandish Reddy, the KR Puram MLA, who had quoted Rs6.30 crore, the second highest bid for the Bangalore zone.
Apart from the two teams from Bangalore, Mangalore saw a tough fight with Brigade Group quoting Rs5.2 crore but since they were the highest bidders for Bangalore zone, the team was sold to the second highest bidder Fizza Developers for Rs 4.23 crore.
Cine star Ambarish along with Nandy Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise Pvt Ltd (NICE) lost their bid to win a Mysore team, which eventually went to Sheresh Auto owned by Kuppendra Reddy, an aspiring politician.
"We have received a tremendous response and we have good groups entering the league. This will ensure a good product. Through them we will try and develop cricket in the mofussil areas," Brijesh Patel, secretary of the KSCA, told DNA.
When asked about senior cricketers Anil Kumble and Javagal Srinath`s recent criticism of the KSCA over having franchisees involved in organising a Twenty20 tournament, Patel said, "It is their personal view. It`s not that they are against the tournament but they are against having franchisees. If that`s the case then why did the BCCI have IPL and why they are part of it?" he asked.
The KPL will be played from September 12 to 27. The pool of 48 players to be auctioned on August 14 will be announced on Friday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'