It`s the victory of democracy: Sibal
New Delhi: "It is a victory of the democracy," Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal said Friday night of the accord that had been reached on forming a joint committee of ministers and civil society leaders to draft an anti-graft legislation that had prompted social reformer Anna Hazare to announce that he would end Saturday morning his fast-unto-death undertaken for the measure.
"I thank the generosity of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA (United Progressive Alliance) chairperson Sonia Gandhi. I thank Anna Hazare too," Sibal, who had represented the govenrment in the talks with civil society leaders to persuade Hazare to end the fast he had begun on Tuesday.
Asked whether the government had not deviated from precedent by agreeing to have non-governmental persons in the drafting of legislation, Sibal said: "The important thing is whether it is good for the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!