It`s the victory of democracy: Sibal
New Delhi: "It is a victory of the democracy," Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal said Friday night of the accord that had been reached on forming a joint committee of ministers and civil society leaders to draft an anti-graft legislation that had prompted social reformer Anna Hazare to announce that he would end Saturday morning his fast-unto-death undertaken for the measure.
"I thank the generosity of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA (United Progressive Alliance) chairperson Sonia Gandhi. I thank Anna Hazare too," Sibal, who had represented the govenrment in the talks with civil society leaders to persuade Hazare to end the fast he had begun on Tuesday.
Asked whether the government had not deviated from precedent by agreeing to have non-governmental persons in the drafting of legislation, Sibal said: "The important thing is whether it is good for the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday