`It`s time to celebrate Narendra Modi’s victory`
New Delhi: As the Bharatiya Janata Party surged ahead of challenger Congress in Gujarat, BJP national spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad on Thursday said that credit for victory in the state goes to Narendra Modi`s leadership.
Appearing confident, Prasad was quoted as saying by Firstpost: “We always knew we would win. It`s time to celebrate third continuous victory of Modi and BJP in Gujarat elections”.
“A conscious attempt was made to downplay Narendra Modi`s governance before Gujarat polls,” he added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party was set to retain power in Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s third victory in a row, with its candidates leading in more than 110 of the 182 seats.
As they counted the millions of votes cast in the two-phase assembly contest, Election Commission officials said the BJP had forged ahead in at least 116 constituencies -- just one short of the 117 it won in 2007.
The Congress, which had been desperate to oust Modi who has ruled Gujarat since 2001, appeared to be on the winning track in 62 places.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'