`It`s time to celebrate Narendra Modi’s victory`
New Delhi: As the Bharatiya Janata Party surged ahead of challenger Congress in Gujarat, BJP national spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad on Thursday said that credit for victory in the state goes to Narendra Modi`s leadership.
Appearing confident, Prasad was quoted as saying by Firstpost: “We always knew we would win. It`s time to celebrate third continuous victory of Modi and BJP in Gujarat elections”.
“A conscious attempt was made to downplay Narendra Modi`s governance before Gujarat polls,” he added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party was set to retain power in Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s third victory in a row, with its candidates leading in more than 110 of the 182 seats.
As they counted the millions of votes cast in the two-phase assembly contest, Election Commission officials said the BJP had forged ahead in at least 116 constituencies -- just one short of the 117 it won in 2007.
The Congress, which had been desperate to oust Modi who has ruled Gujarat since 2001, appeared to be on the winning track in 62 places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH