IWF submits mass resignation; fresh elections soon
New Delhi: India`s national weightlifting federation committee has stepped down after taking responsibility for the rampant doping in the sport in the country, the Indian Olympic Association said Tuesday.
The national weightlifting body was facing another suspension after three more weightlifters were caught in World Anti-Doping Agency tests at a training camp recently.
A statement from the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) said the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) president had also asked the IOA to withdraw the leadership of the Indian weightlifting federation and call for fresh elections.
A decision on this was to have been taken during IWF`s executive committee meeting in Seoul on Wednesday, the statement said.
"In the meantime, the Indian Weightlifting Federation has decided to take the moral responsibility of the doping violation committed by the weightlifters and decided to step down," the statement said.
"The Indian Weightlifting Federation has requested the President, Indian Olympic Association, to take appropriate action and fresh elections will be held soon," the statement added.
India has repeatedly faced embarrassment due to doping among weightlifters and the national body was banned in 2004 and 2006, because three or more lifters tested positive in a calendar year.
Last year, Egyptian Magad Salama resigned as national coach citing doping among senior lifters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report