Jamaica honors Bolt with ambassadorship, highway
Kingston: Jamaica will grant diplomatic privileges to triple Olympic and world champion sprinter Usain Bolt and name a highway after him, Prime
Minister Bruce Golding said on Tuesday.
Golding said Bolt`s extraordinary performance for Jamaica had earned him the right to be called "ambassador" with full diplomatic privileges, including a diplomatic passport.
Highway 2000, linking several of the Caribbean island`s key cities, will be renamed the Usain Bolt Highway and the runner will be given Jamaica`s fourth highest national award, Golding announced in Parliament.
"I have advised the governor general to confer on Mr. Bolt the Order of Jamaica for his outstanding achievements for Jamaica at the highest level of athletic competition," Golding said.
Bolt, who smashed world records in the 100 metres in 9.58 seconds and the 200 metres in 19.19 seconds at the World Championship in Athletics in Berlin, Germany last month, returned to Jamaica on Monday after a grueling international season.
At 23, he will be the youngest recipient of the Order of Jamaica.
Bolt was involved in a car accident last April on the highway that will carry his name. He suffered minor injuries and his BMW was a write-off. No date for the name change was given.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Actor-politician Ramya says 'Pakistan not hell', faces sedition charge
- After NEET, govt works on National Authority for Testing for engineering admissions
- SHOCKING! Hyderabad woman arrested for carrying 2 Kg gold in her underwear at Delhi airport
- Thailand military court opens trial in Bangkok shrine blast
- How to overcome your jetlag?