Jamaica honors Bolt with ambassadorship, highway
Kingston: Jamaica will grant diplomatic privileges to triple Olympic and world champion sprinter Usain Bolt and name a highway after him, Prime
Minister Bruce Golding said on Tuesday.
Golding said Bolt`s extraordinary performance for Jamaica had earned him the right to be called "ambassador" with full diplomatic privileges, including a diplomatic passport.
Highway 2000, linking several of the Caribbean island`s key cities, will be renamed the Usain Bolt Highway and the runner will be given Jamaica`s fourth highest national award, Golding announced in Parliament.
"I have advised the governor general to confer on Mr. Bolt the Order of Jamaica for his outstanding achievements for Jamaica at the highest level of athletic competition," Golding said.
Bolt, who smashed world records in the 100 metres in 9.58 seconds and the 200 metres in 19.19 seconds at the World Championship in Athletics in Berlin, Germany last month, returned to Jamaica on Monday after a grueling international season.
At 23, he will be the youngest recipient of the Order of Jamaica.
Bolt was involved in a car accident last April on the highway that will carry his name. He suffered minor injuries and his BMW was a write-off. No date for the name change was given.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!