Jamaican athlete commits doping violation
Kingston: A Jamaican track and field athlete has committed a doping violation, the island nation`s anti-doping commission said, just days before the country was to name its world championship team.
"The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) has received an adverse analytical finding from a sample collected at the Jamaica national trials on June 24, 2011," the commission said in a statement.
It would not name the athlete nor the substance.
Sources indicated the athlete was neither double sprint world record holder Usain Bolt nor former 100 metres record holder Asafa Powell.
The athlete with the violation did not win an individual medal at the 2009 world championships in Berlin, the sources told reporters.
Bolt won both the 100 and 200 metres with world-record runs at the championships. Powell earned bronze in the 100 metres.
With Bolt and Powell leading the way, Jamaican sprinters are again expected to play a dominant role in the Aug. 27-Sept. 4 world championships in Daegu, South Korea.
"JADCO is unable to release any detail on the athlete and the nature of the violation until the results management process has been completed," the anti-doping commission said.
The Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) confirmed it had been notified of a violation.
"I can say we have received a letter from JADCO," Warren Blake, chairman of JAAA`s medical and anti-doping committee, told reporters.
"But further than that, I cannot really say much because as you know, these processes are confidential until after the `B` sample has been tested."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what