J&K Deputy CM received Queens Baton at Srinagar airport
Srinagar: Sports personalities of Kashmir and senior ministers, including Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand received the Queen`s Baton after it reached the city.
On arrival at the Srinagar airport on Tuesday, the Baton was received by Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora and Minister for Higher Education A G Malik, besides Deputy CM Tara Chand.
The sports personalities of the valley, including former capain of the Indian football team Abdul Majid Kakroo, ex-state footballer Mohammad Yousuf Dar and well-known skier Gul Mustafa were also present on the occasion.
The baton was later taken to Mughal Garden Nishat Bagh and then to Char-Chinari, an island in the Dal lake and then to the Botanical Garden, where it was received by Minister for Health and Floriculture Sham Lal Sharma.
The baton relay culminated at S K International Conventional Complex on the banks of the Dal lake.
The baton will cover 20000 kms during its relay through 28 states and seven Union Territories before reaching the Capital on September 30.
The journey will culminate with the baton entering the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, venue for the October 3 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, an official spokesman said.
He said by the time it arrives at the Nehru stadium it would have travelled more than 1.90 lakh kms over 340 days, making it one of the longest relays in the history of the games.
The baton will leave for Chnadigarh from here later on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony