Japan cabinet to review key pledges amid tight budget conditions
Tokyo: Amid tight budgetary constraints, Japanese cabinet has decided to review some of
the economic measures pledged during the election campaign.
The ruling party lawmakers have said that Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama`s cabinet yesterday agreed to sort out economic policy priorities for fiscal 2010 under the
leadership of Deputy Prime Minister Naoto Kan.
In the face of a shortfall in tax revenue, the government led by the Democratic Party of Japan is finding it difficult to raise enough money for its key policies aimed at increasing disposable household income, without increasing the nation`s already ballooning debt.
Seiji Maehara, Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, said he would be open to trimming 600 billion yen in spending requested by the ministry to make some
of the country`s expressways free in fiscal 2010.
The cabinet also laid out basic guidelines for a planned second extra budget for fiscal 2009, but left its size and deadline open, the lawmakers said.
According to the guidelines presented at cabinet meet said that the extra budget will focus on measures to improve employment conditions and revive the flagging economy,
especially through stimulating demand for environmentally friendly products and services.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know