Japan stares at nuclear catastrophe after 3rd explosion at N-plant
Tokyo: A huge explosion hit another reactor at an earthquake-damaged Japanese nuclear power plant early Tuesday, the third blast since Saturday, the plant operator said.
"There was a huge explosion" between 6:00 am (2100 GMT Monday) and 6:15 am at the number-two reactor of Fukushima No 1 nuclear power plant, a Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) spokesman said.
The government also reported apparent damage to part of the container shielding the same reactor at Fukushima 250 kilometres northeast of Tokyo, although it was unclear whether this resulted from the blast.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters the suppression pool of the number-two nuclear reactor appeared to have been damaged.
This is the bottom part of the container, which holds water used to cool it down and control air pressure inside. "But we have not recorded any sudden jump in radiation indicators," Edano added.
Japan is frantically working to avert a nuclear meltdown after Friday`s massive earthquake and tsunami cut power to the ageing plant and knocked out cooling systems. On Saturday an explosion blew apart the building surrounding the plant`s number-one reactor but the seal around the reactor itself remained intact, officials said.
Yesterday, shortly after Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the plant was still in an "alarming" state, a blast at its number-three reactor shook the facility, injuring 11 people and sending plumes of smoke billowing into the sky.
Late yesterday TEPCO said fuel rods at the number-two reactor were almost fully exposed after a cooling pump there temporarily failed.
The UN`s nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, said Tokyo had asked for expert assistance. But agency chief Yukiya Amano moved to calm global fears that the situation could escalate to match the world`s worst nuclear crisis at Chernobyl in the Ukraine in 1986.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre