Japan unveils humanoid robot that laughs and smiles
Osaka: Japanese researchers said Saturday they
have developed a humanoid robot that can laugh and smile as it
mimics a person`s facial expressions.
The robot, Geminoid TMF, can move its rubber facial skin
to imitate a smile, a laugh showing teeth, and a grim look
with furrowed brows, by receiving electric signals from the
person it is modelled on.
The researchers demonstrated with a robot made to look
exactly like an attractive woman in her 20s with long dark
hair. The woman and the robot were dressed in the same clothes
- a black skirt and black leather jacket.
The robot smiled and furrowed its brow in almost
simultaneous mimicry of the woman, whose face was filmed with
a video camera which then provided information on her
expressions to the robot through electric signals.
"I felt like I had a twin sister," the woman told
The developers said they expected the robot to be
eventually used in real-life situations, for example in
"We`ve already got some data showing that the robot gave
patients psychological security by nodding and smiling at
them, when patients were checked on by doctors," said Satoko
Inoue, spokeswoman for Kokoro, one of the two companies
involved in the development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India