Japan’s 1st lady awarded for looking good in jeans
Tokyo: She`s been called Japan`s most colourful first lady for her cheerful character and quirky comments. Now the wife of new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has won an award for looking good — in her jeans.
Miyuki Hatoyama, 66, won the annual prize given to celebrities who look best in denim, along with four Japanese musicians and a Taiwanese actor.
The first lady was recognised for "wearing jeans gracefully, with a bit of a revolutionary touch," according to the Japan Jeans Association, which represents denim importers and manufacturers.
"I have long wished to win the prize, as I`m a big fan of jeans," Hatoyama said.
Japan`s past first ladies made few public appearances and wore conservative dresses — rarely even trousers.
Hatoyama, a strong believer in spiritualism, has previously made headlines by saying she met actor Tom Cruise in a previous life and that her soul has travelled to Venus on a UFO.
The former actress said she is trying to change her husband`s rather stiff and professor-like appearance.
"I`ve been encouraging him to wear jeans more often when he can be casual," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids