Japan’s 1st lady awarded for looking good in jeans
Tokyo: She`s been called Japan`s most colourful first lady for her cheerful character and quirky comments. Now the wife of new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has won an award for looking good — in her jeans.
Miyuki Hatoyama, 66, won the annual prize given to celebrities who look best in denim, along with four Japanese musicians and a Taiwanese actor.
The first lady was recognised for "wearing jeans gracefully, with a bit of a revolutionary touch," according to the Japan Jeans Association, which represents denim importers and manufacturers.
"I have long wished to win the prize, as I`m a big fan of jeans," Hatoyama said.
Japan`s past first ladies made few public appearances and wore conservative dresses — rarely even trousers.
Hatoyama, a strong believer in spiritualism, has previously made headlines by saying she met actor Tom Cruise in a previous life and that her soul has travelled to Venus on a UFO.
The former actress said she is trying to change her husband`s rather stiff and professor-like appearance.
"I`ve been encouraging him to wear jeans more often when he can be casual," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days