Jawahar tunnel re-opens for traffic, security beefed up
Jammu: The two-and-half kilometres long
Jawahar tunnel, connecting Kashmir with Jammu region on
Jammu-Srinagar national highway, will remain open round the
clock, J&K Traffic Department officials on Sunday said.
"The Jawahar tunnel will remain open for vehicular
traffic round the clock and arrangements for night traffic
movement at the tunnel and security of vehicles on the highway
has been made in this direction," they said.
A meeting in this regard was held among joint groups of
traffic police, Border Road Organisation, CRPF, Army, and
civilian administration at the tunnel venue today and final
touches were given to the plan of reopening of the tunnel
round the clock.
On the directions of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah,
both the tubes of the tunnel, which were closed during the
night from 12 AM to 8 AM, shall remain open 24 hours with
effect from August 31.
Security setup will be reactivated along the highway
during the night period also and measures are being taken in
this direction accordingly, official sources said.
Army will also tighten the night security setup of the
highway in sensitive areas of Banihal-Ramban belt and
Tunnel-Banihal sector, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India