Jawahar tunnel re-opens for traffic, security beefed up
Jammu: The two-and-half kilometres long
Jawahar tunnel, connecting Kashmir with Jammu region on
Jammu-Srinagar national highway, will remain open round the
clock, J&K Traffic Department officials on Sunday said.
"The Jawahar tunnel will remain open for vehicular
traffic round the clock and arrangements for night traffic
movement at the tunnel and security of vehicles on the highway
has been made in this direction," they said.
A meeting in this regard was held among joint groups of
traffic police, Border Road Organisation, CRPF, Army, and
civilian administration at the tunnel venue today and final
touches were given to the plan of reopening of the tunnel
round the clock.
On the directions of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah,
both the tubes of the tunnel, which were closed during the
night from 12 AM to 8 AM, shall remain open 24 hours with
effect from August 31.
Security setup will be reactivated along the highway
during the night period also and measures are being taken in
this direction accordingly, official sources said.
Army will also tighten the night security setup of the
highway in sensitive areas of Banihal-Ramban belt and
Tunnel-Banihal sector, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!