Jayanta, Dola to spearhead Indian challenge in CWG
Kolkata: Olympian Jayanta Talukdar and Rahul Banerjee joined national champion Tarundeep Rai in the Indian men`s recurve team for this year`s Commonwealth Games to be held in Delhi from October 3-14.
After the five selection trials held since April, the Archery Association of India today declared a 12-member squad for the mega-event as Mangal Singh Champia, a regular member of the Indian team, missed the cut.
Another Olympian Dola Banerjee will lead Indian charge in the women`s recurve category with the team also comprising L Bombayla Devi and promising Deepika Kumari, who is also the national champion.
In compound section, national champions C Srither and Jhanu Hansda will lead the Indian charges in the men`s and women`s categories respectively.
Exuding full confidence, India coach Limba Ram said they expect to garner at least six out of the eight gold medals up for grabs.
"We have a strong side with a lot of experience. With the advantage of home conditions, we should get at least six gold medals with strong hopes in men`s and women`s recurve sections," Limba said.
The squads were selected from a total of 64 archers who were pruned to 24 - six in each group - in the core groups` trials held at the Sports Authority of India Eastern Centre at Salt Lake since March 2009.
Meanwhile, the AAI also announced an eight-member squad for the Asian Games, which would not have any compound section and each category will have four archers.
Squads for Commonwealth Games:
Men`s Recurve: Taurndeep Rai (Services), Jayanta Talukdar and Rahul Banerjee (both SPSB); Women`s Recurve: Dola Banerjee, L Bombayala Devi (both Railways) and Deepika Kumari (SPSB); Men`s Compound: C Srither, C H Jignas (both Services) and Ritul Chatterjee (Andhra Pradesh); Women`s Compound: Jhanu Hansda, Bheigyabati Chanu (Jharkhand) and Gagandeep Kaur (Punjab).
Squads for Asian Games:
Men`s Recurve: Tarundeep Rai, Jayanta Talukdar, Rahul Banerjee and Mangal Singh Champia (Railways); Women`s Compound: Dola Banerjee, L Bombayla Devi, Deepika Kumari and Rimil Biruly (SPSB).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India