Jeev to miss Indian Open due to injury, advised 3-week rest
New Delhi: Ace Indian golfer Jeev Milkha Singh was today advised three weeks rest to recover from his back injury, forced him out of this week`s Hero Honda Indian Open here.
Jeev has been advised three weeks of complete rest following a series of tests and MRI scans on his problematic lower back on Monday.
The Chandigarh golfer, who had to withdraw halfway through the Casio World Open on the Japan Golf Tour last week, said he was lucky the injury did not turn out to be as serious as he initially thought it would be.
"I was actually feared the worst. There is a muscle tear around the L4 and L5, and there is a slight bulge in one of the discs which was pinching against a nerve and causing the intense pain," said Jeev.
"The doctor has asked me to take complete rest for three weeks with intensive physiotherapy sessions. Hopefully, the disc will move back in place soon and there should not be any long-term damages. If all goes well over the next few days, I will be able to resume practicing in the New Year," he said.
Jeev said he was disappointed at missing the Indian Open as he was looking to playing in India after a long time.
"Unfortunately, the injury means I will have to pull out of the Hero Honda Indian Open. It`s a huge disappointment for me because I was looking forward to playing in India after a long gap, and also because I greatly admire what Hero Honda has done for Indian golf, as well as for me personally," said Jeev who has dropped to world number 157 in the injury-plagued season.
"I wish the tournament all the best, and hope that the best man will win on Sunday."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends