Jet operations limp back to normalcy
Mumbai/New Delhi: Jet Airways` operations on Sunday limped back towards normalcy with about 100 of the nearly 500 agitating pilots reporting for work across the country after an end to their five-day-long stir.
The company is today operating 150 domestic and 70 international flights, a company spokesperson said.
As many as 140 flights, including 10 international ones, remained cancelled today, the spokesperson said, noting that 98 pilots had reported fit for work this morning. On a normal day, the airline had been operating 360 flights including 80 international.
The services were expected to be restored by Tuesday, Jet Chief Commercial Officer Sudhir Raghavan told reporters in Mumbai.
He said while the operations involving foreign destinations had resumed today, flights on the domestic routes were expected to be normal in about two days.
Nearly 500 pilots, who reported "sick" for the last five days, decided to resume their duties after a nine-hour-long meeting with the airlines’ management in Mumbai last night.
During the marathon meeting, which ended at around 0230 hrs today, the airline management and the agitators reached a settlement under which the four sacked pilots will be reinstated and a consultative group made up of the two sides formed to resolve all issues.
The airline has started booking of seats for today`s flights since this morning, as passengers trickled in following an end to stir.
Jet`s ticketing counter at Delhi`s IGI airport, which wore a deserted look for the last five days, saw some anxious passengers enquiring about the status of flights.
The airlines also tried to bring in some normalcy by combining Mumbai-Dubai and Dubai-Mumbai flights on international sectors.
The airline also merged some flights on Mumbai-Delhi, Mumbai-Vadodara-Ahmedabad, Bangalore-Mumbai and Mumbai-
The company spokesperson said the airline will
initially schedule its operations on a 12-hour basis and will
extend it subsequently after more flights are added to the
In Kolkata, five Jet Airways flights were cancelled this
morning. Only two of its flights, including the Kolkata-Dhaka
international flight, took off from the eastern metropolis.
Jet operations in Chennai were near normal today.
Barring a flight to Delhi, 27 other flights on national and
international routes resumed this morning.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection