Jharkhand to raise 10 bomb disposal squads
Ranchi: Jharkhand will raise 10 bomb disposal squads to tackle rising threats from Maoists and other terrorist groups, a senior police official said Saturday.
"Each battalion of the JAP (Jharkhand Armed Police) will have its own bomb disposal squad. JAP has 10 battalions in the state. Each bomb disposal squad will be equipped with the latest technology," the official said.
Jharkhand government has sanctioned Rs 20.87 crore for this purpose.
In the past few months the police here have received numerous hoax calls about bombs being planted in shopping malls, trains and at other places. Last year a live bomb was recovered from a Big Bazar outlet in Ranchi.
"We have to prepare ourselves considering the rising Maoist, terrorist and criminal activities. Maoist rebels have planted landmines in the jungles and non-tarred roads. We have to ensure availability of bomb disposal squads at all the sensitive places," said the police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth