Jharkhand to raise 10 bomb disposal squads
Ranchi: Jharkhand will raise 10 bomb disposal squads to tackle rising threats from Maoists and other terrorist groups, a senior police official said Saturday.
"Each battalion of the JAP (Jharkhand Armed Police) will have its own bomb disposal squad. JAP has 10 battalions in the state. Each bomb disposal squad will be equipped with the latest technology," the official said.
Jharkhand government has sanctioned Rs 20.87 crore for this purpose.
In the past few months the police here have received numerous hoax calls about bombs being planted in shopping malls, trains and at other places. Last year a live bomb was recovered from a Big Bazar outlet in Ranchi.
"We have to prepare ourselves considering the rising Maoist, terrorist and criminal activities. Maoist rebels have planted landmines in the jungles and non-tarred roads. We have to ensure availability of bomb disposal squads at all the sensitive places," said the police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional