JOA not to oppose wrestling championships: Hashmi
Ranchi: Jharkhand Olympic Association (JOC) would not create any impediment in the senior national wrestling championships organised by the Jharkhand Wrestling Association (JWA) as 29 states and three institutions have already confirmed participation in the 5-day event starting on December 24 here.
"Why will we object? We will not make any objections on the staging of the championships. But we will keep certain points in the next executive body meeting of the Indian Olympic Association and will cite its bylaws," JOC General Secretary S M Hashmi told PTI on Thursday.
He was replying as to whether JOA would support the JWA staging the 55th wrestling championships for men and 48th for women as JOA recently deaffiliated JWA and debarred its president Bhola Singh on the ground that he had filed FIR against JOA office-bearers in connection with corruption.
"It is the Indian Wrestling Federation which is conducting the wrestling championships," Hasmhi claimed, while driving home his point that the Federation has the right to organise its events.
Meanwhile, the JWA president said 28 states and three institutions--Services, Railways and Post Office have confirmed participation, for which weigh-in would be taken on the opening day.
"The JOA had organised the championships in 2003, and was applauded by all the participants. This time we are working overtime to make it even more success," Singh said.
"Chief Minister Arjun Munda has almost given consent to inaugurate the championships while Steel Minister Virbhadra Singh has given his consent for the closing ceremony," claimed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow