JOA not to oppose wrestling championships: Hashmi
Ranchi: Jharkhand Olympic Association (JOC) would not create any impediment in the senior national wrestling championships organised by the Jharkhand Wrestling Association (JWA) as 29 states and three institutions have already confirmed participation in the 5-day event starting on December 24 here.
"Why will we object? We will not make any objections on the staging of the championships. But we will keep certain points in the next executive body meeting of the Indian Olympic Association and will cite its bylaws," JOC General Secretary S M Hashmi told PTI on Thursday.
He was replying as to whether JOA would support the JWA staging the 55th wrestling championships for men and 48th for women as JOA recently deaffiliated JWA and debarred its president Bhola Singh on the ground that he had filed FIR against JOA office-bearers in connection with corruption.
"It is the Indian Wrestling Federation which is conducting the wrestling championships," Hasmhi claimed, while driving home his point that the Federation has the right to organise its events.
Meanwhile, the JWA president said 28 states and three institutions--Services, Railways and Post Office have confirmed participation, for which weigh-in would be taken on the opening day.
"The JOA had organised the championships in 2003, and was applauded by all the participants. This time we are working overtime to make it even more success," Singh said.
"Chief Minister Arjun Munda has almost given consent to inaugurate the championships while Steel Minister Virbhadra Singh has given his consent for the closing ceremony," claimed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!