Julia begins Pataudi filming: The Asian Age
Pataudi, Sept 21: It was Pretty Woman Julia Roberts all right, but eating aloo-gobi and matar-paneer — that too with her hands. Wearing a purple kurta, black salwar and rudraksha beads, she completed her first day’s shoot for a Hollywood film here on Sunday, living up her role every bit! The legendary Hollywood actress was so determined to deliver the right shot for the movie Eat, Pray, Love at Ashram Hari Mandir that she not only did multiple retakes, but didn’t also move from her seat till director Ryan Murphy was fully satisfied.
The humidity and buzzing flies made many in the film crew restless, but not Ms Roberts who remained calm and composed as she sat in a chair with a hand fan. At one point, she could be seen eating rice, chappati, aloo-gobi and matar-paneer the Indian way, with her hands. She could then be seen shooting with an Indian girl in another scene, while later she was joined by co-star Richard Jenkins.
Ms Roberts, who landed at Delhi airport on Thursday, drove straight to this small Haryana town 40 km away, and spent much of Friday and Saturday resting at the gracious Pataudi Palace Hotel.
The Hollywood superstar is here with her three children — four-and-a-half-year-old twins Hazel and Phinnaeus and two-year-old son Henry — and their nannies. She will be shooting the India scenes of her new film with Hollywood colleagues Billy Crudup, Javier Bardem and Richard Jenkins. The main filming began on Sunday morning at the ashram, which is roughly 900 meters away from Pataudi Palace, which belongs to onetime India cricket captain Mansoor Ali Khan, the former Nawab of Pataudi. The palace has now been converted into a heritage hotel. The actress is moving around in a bulletproof Tata Fortuner.
There are two more cars for the crew and a helicopter could also be glimpsed. The film, based on author Elizabeth Gilbert’s memoirs Eat, Love, Pray, features Ms Roberts as Gilbert who travels to Italy, India and Indonesia in search of peace. The India part of the film will be shot at the Ashram Hari Mandir in Pataudi.
"In the next few days, Roberts will also shoot at Pataudi market and Mirzapur, near here," a source here said. The cast and crew of the film are expected to be in Pataudi till the first week of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued