Juve appeal to sports tribunal over 2006 title
Rome: Juventus have appealed to the National Court of Arbitration for Sport (TNAS) against the Italian Football Federation (Figc) Federal Council`s decision not to strip Inter Milan of the 2006 Serie A title.
Juve initially won the title but were stripped of both that one and the 2005 crown for their role in the infamous Calciopoli match-fixing scandal.
Juve were deducted points and relegated with the 2006 scudetto assigned to Inter, who finished third, after AC Milan were also punished and deducted points.
The 2005 title remained unassigned, an action Juve want applied also to the 2006 title.
Juve lost their appeal to the Figc Federal Council in Naples and have now decided to take the matter further.
As well as appealing to TNAS, Juve have referred their complaint to UEFA`s executive committee, the Ministry of Interior, the Rome Prefect and the Italian Olympic Committee.
"This is the beginning of our actions and may not be the only ones we take," said Juve president Andrea Agnelli.
"The facts that emerged from the process in Naples showed an unacceptable disparity of treatment.”
"The same institution that lambasted Juventus in 2006 was declared incompetent.”
"We won the title that season on the pitch with 91 points but someone else has had it assigned to them through an administrative act.”
"It was described as the honest title but rather than that it`s the title that was fixed.”
"We`re not afraid of confrontation and we`re open to dialogue but only in fair conditions.”
"We`re still capable of asking for the restitution of two titles we won on the pitch."
Juve were found guilty of match-fixing as then general manager Luciano Moggi was in regular contact with the referees commission and dictating which officials he wanted at his team`s matches.
Juventus were relegated, stripped of their last two titles and docked points for the coming season in Serie B.
They earned promotion back to Serie A at the first attempt and even qualified for the Champions League in their first two seasons back in the top flight.
However, they have never fully recovered from the punishment and finished seventh in their last two campaigns, missing out on Europe altogether in the last one -- something that was unthinkable before Calciopoli.
But the club has never accepted the loss of their titles and still lists them in their official honours on their website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year