Juventus in talks to sign Honda: report
Rome: Juventus are in talks with CSKA Moscow to acquire Japan`s World Cup hero Keisuke Honda as the Italian giants attempt to revamp their squad, a press report said Tuesday.
The two clubs have been holding talks "including financial matters" over the 25-year-old midfielder, the Sports Nippon daily said, quoting inside sources.
Juventus, who finished a disappointing seventh in the 2010-11 Serie A season, are hoping to use Honda as a "centrepiece player" in the new campaign, the daily said.
Honda emerged as Japan`s key player at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where he scored two goals and set up another as the Blue Samurai reached the last 16 for their best ever result on foreign soil.
He was also named the most valuable player at the Asian Cup in Doha in January, when Japan lifted a record fourth continental title.
Several major English clubs including Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa were reported to have shown their interest in Honda during the Asian Cup.
After four years at J-League powerhouse Nagoya Grampus and two years at Dutch club VVV Venlo, Honda joined CSKA in January 2010 and became the first Japanese to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League the same year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand