Juventus in talks to sign Honda: report
Rome: Juventus are in talks with CSKA Moscow to acquire Japan`s World Cup hero Keisuke Honda as the Italian giants attempt to revamp their squad, a press report said Tuesday.
The two clubs have been holding talks "including financial matters" over the 25-year-old midfielder, the Sports Nippon daily said, quoting inside sources.
Juventus, who finished a disappointing seventh in the 2010-11 Serie A season, are hoping to use Honda as a "centrepiece player" in the new campaign, the daily said.
Honda emerged as Japan`s key player at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where he scored two goals and set up another as the Blue Samurai reached the last 16 for their best ever result on foreign soil.
He was also named the most valuable player at the Asian Cup in Doha in January, when Japan lifted a record fourth continental title.
Several major English clubs including Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa were reported to have shown their interest in Honda during the Asian Cup.
After four years at J-League powerhouse Nagoya Grampus and two years at Dutch club VVV Venlo, Honda joined CSKA in January 2010 and became the first Japanese to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League the same year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off