Juve`s Marchisio hails win, scolds Balotelli
Milan: Juventus match winner Claudio Marchisio said beating Serie A champions Inter Milan 2-1 on Saturday was a huge morale boost for the title race.
The Italy midfielder, who had just returned from knee surgery, produced a fabulous finish just before the hour to cut Inter`s lead to four points over AC Milan and five over Juve.
"For morale we really needed to beat Inter because it is very difficult to stay behind this Inter side," the 23-year-old, who rose up through Juve`s youth ranks, said.
"Now we have to continue on this path. We can`t lose lots more points if we want to win the scudetto. However, Milan are in great form."
Most of the build-up to the big match in Turin centred around Inter`s Mario Balotelli and the fact Juve fans have often chanted racist songs about the striker.
Authorities had threatened to suspend the game if there was further racist abuse but Juve fans largely behaved, even if Marchisio thought substitute Balotelli did not help himself.
"I like him but he must improve aspects of his behaviour," he said. "Today after three incidents he threw himself to the floor. However, our fans behaved well, and I`m happy for that."
Juve`s rookie coach Ciro Ferrara quickly turned his attention to Tuesday`s Champions League home match with Bayern Munich, where a point will put them through to the last 16.
"We deserved the victory but now we have to think about Tuesday. There are certain games that stimulate great players. It has been great to beat the champions," he said.
Inter coach Jose Mourinho was sent to the stands during the match and did not do post-match interviews, leaving goalkeeper Julio Cesar to complain about the lack of penalties when Walter Samuel and Diego Milito went down.
"When you play a game like that you always want to win. We are still top and have a final (in the Champions League against Rubin Kazan) on Wednesday. But we also had a penalty," he said.
Inter must beat the Russian side at the San Siro to guarantee a place in the Champions League knockout round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow