Jwala-Ashwini lose in semis, settles for bronze
London: India`s Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa lost 14-21, 16-21 to Chinese fifth-seeded pair of Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei in the women`s doubles semi-final of the World Badminton Championship to settle for a bronze medal.
Jwala and Ashwini were impressive in flashes but failed to keep up with the Chinese pair, and went down in 38 minutes Saturday night.
It was the pair`s first medal in the World Championships and also of the country in 28 years.
Jwala and Ashwini, ranked 21, did well to rally from 2-6 down to 8-8 in the first game but slumped to a rash of errors to go down.
The Chinese continued in the same vein to take a 11-6 lead in the second game but Jwala with a terrific net play and Aswini supporting from the backcourt bridged the gap to 16-17. But the Chinese soon upped the ante to reel off four points to wrap up the game and the match.
Their semifinal finish will propel Jwala and Ashwini three places to 18 and will boost their chances of qualifying for the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka