Jwala-Ashwini lose in semis, settles for bronze
London: India`s Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa lost 14-21, 16-21 to Chinese fifth-seeded pair of Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei in the women`s doubles semi-final of the World Badminton Championship to settle for a bronze medal.
Jwala and Ashwini were impressive in flashes but failed to keep up with the Chinese pair, and went down in 38 minutes Saturday night.
It was the pair`s first medal in the World Championships and also of the country in 28 years.
Jwala and Ashwini, ranked 21, did well to rally from 2-6 down to 8-8 in the first game but slumped to a rash of errors to go down.
The Chinese continued in the same vein to take a 11-6 lead in the second game but Jwala with a terrific net play and Aswini supporting from the backcourt bridged the gap to 16-17. But the Chinese soon upped the ante to reel off four points to wrap up the game and the match.
Their semifinal finish will propel Jwala and Ashwini three places to 18 and will boost their chances of qualifying for the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!