Jwala keeps India in the hunt
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Jwala Gutta
paired up with V Diju and Ashwini Popanna to enter
quarterfinals of mixed and women`s doubles events respectively
in the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament
Third seed Jwala-Diju beat local pair Hong-Ling Chen and
Pie Chen Hsien 25-23 21-15 to set up a quarterfinal clash with
Korean qualifiers Baek Cheol Shin and Hyun Young Yoo tomorrow.
Jwala notched up a double delight as she partnered
Ashwini to defeat eighth seed Malaysian pair of Nairul Suhada
Abdul Latif and Amelia Alicia Anscelly 21-15 21-15.
The Indian pair will next face fourth seed Chinese pair
of Wei yang and Jiewen Zhang tomorrow.
However, India`s men`s doubles pair of Rupesh Kumar and
Sanave Thomas couldn`t emulate their women counterparts and
went down 17-21 18-21 to Malaysian pair of Teik Chai Gan and
Bin Shen Tan in the second round.
In men`s singles, 13th seed P Kashyap lost his third
round match against Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia 8-21 12-23,
while Ajay Jayaram went down to eight seed A Kumiawan Tedjono
of Indonesia 17-21,21-13, 21-21.
Chetan Anand, Anup Sridhar and Aditi Mutatkar crashed out
of the tournament yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered