Kalmadi rules out paying weightlifting fine from IOA pocket
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi has ruled out giving any monetary assistance to the Indian Weightlifting Federation in paying the USD 3,75,000 fine to the game`s world body because it related to doping. However, the Sports Ministry directed the authorities to clear the tab as early as possible.
He, however, said that he will facilitate in raising the money from "outside sources" so that Indian weightlifters can participate in the upcoming Commonwealth Games to be held here from October 3-14.
Kalmadi, also the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chairman, told reporters that IOA would ask the International Weightlifting Federation to reduce the fine as it was imposing
"a fantastic amount".
"The question has been why the Indian Olympic Association is not paying the fine. You see it is a dope thing. And we can`t give money for dope. There is International Olympic Council (which will disapprove it). We can`t pay money for dope charges," Kalmadi said here.
"We are talking to IOC and International Weightlifting Federation. We are asking the international federation to reduce the fine because they are charging a fantastic amount as fine. Nobody pays such a huge money," he said.
Kalmadi said he hopes the matter would be sorted out before the August 31 deadline.
"We made the deadline postponed (of paying the fine) from July 31 to August 31. We will help the Indian Weightlifting in raising the money from outside. Hopefully we are able to achieve something by August 31," he said.
Out of the USD 5,00,000 fine imposed by the International Weightlifting Federation after six Indian lifters flunked dope tests conducted by WADA in September last year, IWF is yet to pay USD 3,75,000 apart from individual fines and `B` sample testing charges amounting to another USD 31,000.
IWF has already paid USD 1,25,000 from its own resources in two installments and if the remaining amount is not paid by August 31, Indian lifters will be barred from taking part in international events, including the Delhi Games and the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China in November.
The Sports Ministry had recently asked the IOA and Commonwealth Games OC to take up the matter with the International Weightlifting Federation for reduction of penalty amount and rescheduling of payment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared