Kalmadi’s dementia unconfirmed; AIIMS checkup next
New Delhi: Suresh Kalmadi, the main accused in the multi-crore Commonwealth Games scam, will be taken to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) later this week after his reports of the July 19 tests could not confirm him suffering from dementia.
Earlier, Kalmadi’s lawyers had said that he was suffering from dementia - seen as a legal ploy to delay the sentencing of the 66-year old politician in the CWG scam. The MRI that was conducted on him on 19 July at LNJP Hospital shows, in medical jargon, `diffused cerebral atrophy with old ischemic changes in brain parenchyma with calcified granuloma in caudothalamic groove on left side (of his brain)`.
This condition, according to neurologists, can be induced by diabetes. The clinical examinations at AIIMS will make it clearer about his claims, which have often been proved hollow in the past.
Reacting sharply to the developments, Sport Minister Ajay Maken had earlier said that Kalmadi cannot escape from the law just because he is suffering from dementia.
"As far as involvement of Mr Kalmadi is concerned, no one can get away with criminal involvement by saying that he doesn`t remember anything now," Maken told a television channel from US.
According to Deputy Inspector General of Tihar R N Sharma, Kalmadi is suffering from dementia, a disease related to memory loss, impaired reasoning and personality changes.
Maken said the evidences against Kalmadi are well documented and he can`t escape from law.
"I don`t think anyone can escape from criminal responsibility just by saying that he does not remember anything now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath