Kalmadi’s dementia unconfirmed; AIIMS checkup next
New Delhi: Suresh Kalmadi, the main accused in the multi-crore Commonwealth Games scam, will be taken to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) later this week after his reports of the July 19 tests could not confirm him suffering from dementia.
Earlier, Kalmadi’s lawyers had said that he was suffering from dementia - seen as a legal ploy to delay the sentencing of the 66-year old politician in the CWG scam. The MRI that was conducted on him on 19 July at LNJP Hospital shows, in medical jargon, `diffused cerebral atrophy with old ischemic changes in brain parenchyma with calcified granuloma in caudothalamic groove on left side (of his brain)`.
This condition, according to neurologists, can be induced by diabetes. The clinical examinations at AIIMS will make it clearer about his claims, which have often been proved hollow in the past.
Reacting sharply to the developments, Sport Minister Ajay Maken had earlier said that Kalmadi cannot escape from the law just because he is suffering from dementia.
"As far as involvement of Mr Kalmadi is concerned, no one can get away with criminal involvement by saying that he doesn`t remember anything now," Maken told a television channel from US.
According to Deputy Inspector General of Tihar R N Sharma, Kalmadi is suffering from dementia, a disease related to memory loss, impaired reasoning and personality changes.
Maken said the evidences against Kalmadi are well documented and he can`t escape from law.
"I don`t think anyone can escape from criminal responsibility just by saying that he does not remember anything now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!