Kalmadi’s fate hangs in balance as Cong throws ball in Govt court
New Delhi: With allegations of corruption mounting against Commonwealth Games Organising committee chief Suresh Kalmadi, the Congress Core Committee on Friday took up the issue but decided to leave a decision on Kalmadi`s fate to the central government.
The core committee which met at the Prime Minister`s residence, discussed issues related to the Commonwealth Games, including allegations of corruption against Kalmadi and the nuclear liability bill besides other issues pertaining to the ongoing monsoon session of parliament.
Sources in the party said that though Kalmadi`s alleged involvement in corruption relating to the Commonwealth Games was taken up, no decision could be reached on the matter.
After the issue witnessed much uproar in Parliament on Friday, a decision on the future of Kalmadi, who is Congress MP in Lok Sabha from Pune, was expected to be taken by the core committee.
Setting up an oversight committee on the Games was also discussed, but a final decision has been left on the government in consultation with Sports Minister MS Gill.
"The issues were discussed but no decision has been taken. It was decided that the decision will be taken up by the government in consultation with the sports minister," a party member said after the meeting.
It has been decided that Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrashekhar will be asked to co-ordinate the CWG preparations.
"The cabinet secretary may be asked to oversee the Commonwealth Games arrangements so that they are conducted efficiently," an office bearer of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) told IANS Friday.
"The cabinet secretary is already actively involved. He has been monitoring the preparations and updating the prime minister about the progress in the construction works and other arrangements for the Games," he added.
Opposition parties have been mounting pressure on the government to take action against Kalmadi for his alleged involvement in corruption in the organizing committee.
Sources, however, say that a decision may not be taken unless the allegations against Kalmadi are proved, or till the Games are over.
While the Left parties have demanded Kalmadi`s removal, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has sought action against him. Some quarters of the Congress party too have been demanding his removal.
Senior party leader Digvijay Singh Tuesday remarked that if a prima facie case is filed against Kalmadi by the CBI, he should resign.
Sources in the party say similar demands have come up from some other members as well.
The core committee also discussed the Nuclear Liability Bill which is set to be tabled in the present session of parliament. The government is making all efforts to work out a consensus on the bill which is critical for implementing the Indo-US nuclear deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon