Kalmadi`s outburst `unfortunate and inappropriate`: Hooper
New Delhi: Facing severe criticism from the
2010 Commonwealth Games organisers, Mike Hooper, the CEO of
the mega event, today described as "unfortunate and
inappropriate" the comments made against him by CWG Organising
Committee Chairman Suresh Kalmadi.
Kalmadi today demanded Hooper`s immediate removal from
the post by the Commonwealth Games Federation, saying that the
New Zealander was of "no use" to the OC.
Hooper said he was disappointed that Kalmadi had launched
a personal attack on him.
"I am very disappointed to hear the comments by Kalmadi
today. It`s his view. I view my role here has been independent
in the last two years. It seems I was in position of seriously
addressing the real issues. Launching a personal attack was
most unfortunate. To me it`s unfortunate and totally
inappropriate," Hooper said.
Earlier in the day, a fuming Kalmadi said Hooper had been
an impediment to the functioning of the Commonwealth Games
"Mike Hooper has not been beneficial to us. He was of no
use and has been an impediment to the functioning despite
spending two years here. So we have asked the CGF to replace
him immediately and in his place send somebody who can be
useful to us," Kalmadi said.
The organisers not only demanded Hooper`s axing but also
rejected the CGF Chief Michael Fennel`s proposal of setting up
an independent panel of experts to oversee the preparations of
Fennel has been critical of the India`s tardy
preparations and had warned of "partial failure" if the pace
the infrastructure construction was not speeded up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31