Kalraj makes U-turn on Uma remarks
Lucknow: BJP vice-president Kalraj Mishra on Tuesday said the party’s Parliamentary Board, which is the highest decision making body, will decide the chief ministerial candidate if it wins the UP Assembly elections.
Mishra, who is one of the front-runners for the chief ministership of Uttar Pradesh if some "miraculous results" give his party the mandate, said the decision on who will be CM in such a scenario will be taken by the Parliamentary Board.
He, however, maintains that the party must first strive
to get the required numbers.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari had stated earlier that the party was fighting the electoral battle in Uttar Pradesh under the leadership of state unit president Surya Pratap Shahi, former party president Rajnath Singh, Kalraj Mishra and
firebrand Hindutva leader Uma Bharti.
Mishra recounted that Gadkari has also pointed out that
Shahi is the state unit president (and hence can?t hold two
posts) while Rajnath Singh has already said he is not in state
Bharti, who is from the Lodh community and rose to
prominence during the Ram Janambhoomi movement, is a former
chief minister of Madhya Pradesh.
Ever since Gadkari announced that she will contest the UP
elections from Charkhari constituency of Mahoba district,
speculation has been rife about her being a prospective chief
ministerial candidate. Her case is also strengthened by the
fact that she is an OBC leader and BJP is aggressively wooing
Mishra is all-praise for Bharti and feels she has
strengthened the BJP campaign in UP.
However, the former minister of the erstwhile BSP-BJP
government feels Bharti is a national leader of the party and
should not be seen only in the context of UP politics.
"Moreover, she should also not be seen just as an OBC
leader. She has been a union minister in the NDA government.
She is a Sadhvi who cannot be confined to a particular state.
She is also a former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh," Mishra
Though Mishra states that he is one of the four leaders
under whom the party has decided to contest the polls in Uttar
Pradesh, he hastens to add, "I am not saying I am the chief
He also evaded a reply when asked if the BJP would choose
a Brahmin- the community to which he belongs- as the chief
minister, saying the final decision will be taken by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25