Kamla Beniwal takes oath as Tripura Governor
Agartala: Kamla Beniwal, a former deputy chief minister of Rajasthan, took oath as the new Governor of Tripura here on Thursday.
The oath was administered by senior judge of Guwahati High Court Amitava Roy at Raj Bhawan.
"Dr. Beniwal is the first woman Governor of any northeastern state," a senior Tripura government official said.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, his Cabinet colleagues, leaders of different political parties, and top civil, army and police officials were present in the brief oath taking ceremony.
Immediately after the swearing-in-ceremony, Beniwal said: "I shall do my best for the all round development and welfare of Tripura and its people. The centre and state have common aim to flush-out militancy from the northeastern states."
Beniwal, 83, along with union Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways Mahadev Singh Khandela, several Rajasthan assembly legislators, and her family members, arrived here on Wednesday.
A state government official said: "She was the first woman minister in Rajasthan at the age of 27 and had been minister in Congress governments in Rajasthan with all chief ministers since 1954 for almost 50 years, holding almost all important portfolios, including home, education and agriculture."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez