Kandhamal riot case: Six sentenced to four year in jail
Phulbani (Orissa): At least six persons
including five tribals were on Monday sentenced to four year`s
imprisonment and slapped a penalty of Rs 2,000 each after they
were convicted in the Kandhamal riot case by a local court.
Additional Sessions Judge SK Das pronounced punishment
for the youth after they were found guilty of setting a
number of houses on fire at Gochhapada area during the
ethno-communal violence in Kandhamal last year.
They were also found to be making unlawful assembly by
The imprisonment period could extend for three more
months in case penalty amount were not paid.
With conviction of six persons, the total number of
persons convicted relating to the riot increased to 12 while
over 42 persons were acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites