Kapil throws open Albatross International Junior Tournament
Gurgaon: Former India skipper Kapil Dev on Tuesday declared open the first ever Albatross international junior golf tournament that tees off at the Classic Golf Resort here on Wednesday.
Around 140 kids from eight countries, including India, USA, Thailand and Malaysia will vie for the top honours in the three-day event, which will also see participation from Canada, UAE, Sri Lanka and Korea here.
“In our times parents always focused on studies and did not give much importance to sports. It is great to see that an organisation like Albatross which consists of 40 parents have gone to the extent of organising an international junior golf tournament, it is very commendable,” said Kapil, who turned a professional golfer this year.
Juniors like Ashbeer Saini, Arjun Singh, Harshjeet Singh Sethi and Gurbaaz Takkar would be among the India golfers in the tournament that would be played over 54 holes with no cut.
Among others, American Jordon Knight, Poom Saksansin of Thailand, Korean Sun Woo Choi, Sai Ganesh of Dubai and Sri Lankan Harsha de Silva would add the foreign flavour.
Kapil Dev, under whose captaincy India won the cricket World Cup in 1983, also narrated his own golf experience.
“When I use to go abroad to play cricket, lot of Indian origin people use to invite me for a round of Golf. Now those very parents have brought their kids to play in this tournament. I am sure pretty soon these golfing kids will make it big in world circuit someday,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy