Karan Johar apologising to Raj a stunt: Chavan
Mumbai: Expressing displeasure with Karan Johar, Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan said on Friday the filmmaker shouldn’t have apologised to MNS supreme Raj Thackeray for saying Bombay in his latest flick ‘Wake up Sid!’
“This is a filmi stunt. Karan should have approached the state police,” he said, adding that they were capable of providing security to filmmakers.
Earlier in the day, eminent film producer Karan Johar had visited Raj Thackeray’s house and apologised to him for the characters in his film saying Bombay instead of Mumbai.
‘Wake Up Sid’ hit theatres on today and stars Ranbir Kapoor and Konkona Sen, Anupam Kher and
Supriya Pathak. Directed by debutante filmmaker Ayaan Mukherjee, the film
has been produced by Karan Johar`s Dharma Productions.
Known for its ‘Marathi Manoos’ agenda and political militancy, MNS has once again raised its ‘Amchi Mumbai’ tirade and has blasted ‘Wake Up Sid’ for referring Mumbai as Bombay.
Karan reached Raj Thackeray’s house in the morning and apologized for referring to Mumbai city as Bombay in film.
After MNS activists asked the cinema hall owners to stop
the screening of the movie released today, 37-year-old Johar
drove to Thackeray`s residence in central Mumbai for a
20-minute meeting with him following which he said, "It was a
genuine mistake on our part...Henceforth, we will use Mumbai
instead of Bombay. We have apologised for the same."
"We had no intention to hurt anyone`s feelings. We will
put a disclaimer in the film (over the name Mumbai, instead of
Bombay)," he told reporters here.
Johar, who has produced the film, said "The city of
Mumbai is referred to as Bombay in a conversation between
Ranbir and Konkona, some 12 times (in the movie). I explained
to him that the error happened because of the colloquial
parlance used in the film and he understood the point."
Asked if this was a publicity stunt, Johar said, "There
are several other marketing platforms for publicity of the
film. This was not a publicity stunt."
Emerging from the meeting a short while ago, an aggressive Raj said that such things (using `Bombay` instead of Mumbai) would not be tolerated and Karan has realised his mistake.
"He has sought time from us to rectify the error. We shall wait for three-four days before the next step," Raj told mediapersons outside his residence.
To a query, he said that not only the directors, but all persons connected with filmmaking and other fields must ensure that Mumbai is used in place of `Bombay`.
"When the names of other cities like Delhi and Chennai are not changed, why should Mumbai be change to `Bombay`?" he thundered.
"We will add the disclaimer nation-wide as well as in the
international releases. It will take us 3 to 4 days to rectify
the mistake. We explained that infrastructural changes will
require time and he agreed," said Johar.
The screening of the movie was also stopped by MNS workers
at a multiplex in Pune.
The film is a coming of the age drama and revolves around
the life of a college student Sid, who is a lazy unmotivated
slacker who takes for granted his father`s hard earned money
and spends time attending parties and sleeping late in the
But Sid comes to take stock of his life after a series of
It is not for the first time that MNS has had a run in
with Bollywood. Earlier, mega star Amitabh Bachchan had to
apologise last year for his actress wife Jaya Bachchan`s
anti-Marathi remarks after MNS party workers allegedly stopped
the screening of his movie `The Last Lear`.
Shah Rukh Khan`s `Billu` had faced similar problems last
year with protests allegedly by MNS over certain words in a
song in the movie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow