Karun Chandhok dropped for German GP
Indian Formula One driver Karun Chandhok has been dropped by the Hispania team for next weekend`s German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, the team announced on Friday.
London: Indian Formula One driver Karun Chandhok has been dropped by the Hispania team for next weekend`s German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, the team announced on Friday.
Chandhok will be replaced by Japanese test driver Sakon Yamamoto, who took over from Bruno Senna at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone last week.
"I expect to be back for races later in the year," a defiant Chandhok told the BBC.
The 26-year-old added: "As a racing driver it`s obviously not great to be missing races but I`m not in contention for the world championship or in a points battle over anything.
"I came into this team looking to establish myself as a credible, respectable Formula 1 driver and I`ve done that.”
"The team gave me the chance to be in F1 and I have to respect and support this decision. At the moment we are talking only about Hockenheim but with four drivers and two cars, it is probably inevitable I will miss some more races."
The Hispania team, which has yet to score a point this season, insisted that the decision did not mean the end of the road for F1 rookie Chandhok.
"Sakon Yamamoto gave a very positive performance in Silverstone, the team has decided to give the Japanese driver another opportunity to drive the car alongside Bruno Senna," said a team statement.
"Karun Chandhok is still part of the Hispania Racing family and is likely to be in the car at some later races this season."
Yamamoto was delighted to be given a second chance with the struggling team.
"Compared to Silverstone, I think we are more competitive and we can achieve a good result again," he said.
"The last race weekend was very exciting for me. Now, the team has given me another chance to race on Sunday and I will do my best to prove that it was the right decision."