Karunanidhi hints at coalition govt
Chennai: Voicing confidence that his party
will win the Tamil Nadu Assembly polls, DMK president M
Karunanidhi Wednesday hinted at a possible coalition government, a
key issue said to have been raised by long-time ally Congress
as a post-poll arrangement.
"Our prospects are as bright as the Rising Sun (DMK`s
symbol) and we will win as many seats as we require to form
government...It could either be our own or a coalition," he
told reporters here after casting his vote.
During the tough seat-sharing bargaining between Congress
and DMK, the national party is said to have made a strong
pitch for a share in power.
The Congress has been out of power in Tamil Nadu since
1967 when it was unseated by the DMK, then under party founder
On allegations of EC acting in a "biased" manner, the
chief minister said, "As far as we are concerned, they acted
harshly but I won`t say they were partisan. A few people have
been affected by the EC and I don`t see anything wrong when
they talk about that."
During his poll campaign, Karunanidhi had been critical
of the Election Commission, saying that some of its officers
were working like in "emergency times" with the intention of
defeating his party and asked the Centre to consider what
powers the EC should be given in the future.
Deputy Chief Minister and Karunanidhi`s son M K Stalin
also sounded confident of a DMK sweep claiming that its front
would win around 200 seats on the basis of the government`s
populist measures and the overall performance.
After casting his vote here he told reporters that the
Election Commission was not acting in a non-partisan manner
and said his father Karunanidhi has reiterated the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’