Kavcic sets up Berdych meeting in Chennai Open
Chennai: Slovenia`s Blaz Kavcic on Wednesday set up a quarter-final clash with top seed Tomas Berdych at the Chennai Open after putting paid to the aspirations of American Robert Kendrick with a clinical 6-2 6-2 win.
Kavcic, who upset fifth seed Jeremy Chardy of France in his first round match yesterday, converted four of the five break points as Kendrick had little else to show but for a booming forehand.
Kendrick failed to exploit Kavcic`s weak backhand – his raquet clattered against the court whenever the Slovenian attempted a backhand clearance -- but Berdych might not be so kind in their meeting in the next tie.
After losing the first set tamely, the American seemed to start the second promisingly holding his first game but Kavic always managed to hold the advantage and went to hold his serve and with a break led 5-2 before Kendrick`s return went long in game eight to give away the set and the match.
Top seed Berdych of Czechoslovakia had beaten Croatian Ivan Dodig 6-2 6-4 earlier in the day to enter the last eight of the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption