Kavcic sets up Berdych meeting in Chennai Open
Chennai: Slovenia`s Blaz Kavcic on Wednesday set up a quarter-final clash with top seed Tomas Berdych at the Chennai Open after putting paid to the aspirations of American Robert Kendrick with a clinical 6-2 6-2 win.
Kavcic, who upset fifth seed Jeremy Chardy of France in his first round match yesterday, converted four of the five break points as Kendrick had little else to show but for a booming forehand.
Kendrick failed to exploit Kavcic`s weak backhand – his raquet clattered against the court whenever the Slovenian attempted a backhand clearance -- but Berdych might not be so kind in their meeting in the next tie.
After losing the first set tamely, the American seemed to start the second promisingly holding his first game but Kavic always managed to hold the advantage and went to hold his serve and with a break led 5-2 before Kendrick`s return went long in game eight to give away the set and the match.
Top seed Berdych of Czechoslovakia had beaten Croatian Ivan Dodig 6-2 6-4 earlier in the day to enter the last eight of the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened