Kavita steals limelight after a messy start of athletics event
Ranchi: Athletics competition got off to a messy start at the already chaotic 34th National Games with technical officials clueless about the results even an hour after the events, even as tribal girl from Maharashtra Kavita Raut hogged the limelight at the Birsa Munda Stadium here on Wednesday.
Raut outpaced star runner Preeja Sreedharan in the 10,000m to avenge her Asian Games gold medal loss as Lalita Babar of Maharashtra won the bronze at the Mega Sports Complex.
With some technical problems affecting the system, the officials were clueless about the result which was provided more than an hour after the competition.
Kavita did not have any problem beating her rival Preeja of Kerala as she clocked 34:28.26s en route to the gold.
Preeja stopped the clock at 34:29.79 while Maharashtra also bagged the bronze through Lalita who clocked 36:08.05.
Suresh Kumar of Uttar Pradesh clocked 29:59.65 for the men`s 10,000m gold as Soji Mathew of Kerala won the silver with a timing of 30:02.48 while Sunil Kumar of Haryana bagged the bronze clocking 30:03.24.
International shot putter Sourabh Vij bagged the first athletics gold.
Delhi athlete Vij, who was mired in a doping controversy ahead last year`s Commonwealth Games, had a throw of 18.90 metres at the Birsa Munda Athletics Stadium at the Mega Sports Complex for the gold medal.
Om Prakash of Haryana won the silver with a throw of 18.13 while Jagroop Singh (Punjab) bagged the bronze with 18.00.
In women`s long jump, Mayookha Johny of Kerala made an effort of 6.26m for the gold. Bengal took the silver and bronze through Shradha Ghule (6.15) and Piyali Paul (5.91).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH