Kayani mulled toppling Zardari who had named successor
London/Washington: The Pakistani Army Chief
Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kayani had mulled toppling Asif Ali Zardari
and the civilian President had even made preparations for a
coup or assassination, leaked US diplomatic cables have said.
The latest tranche of WikiLeaks published in the media
has revealed that Zardari had made extensive preparations in
case of his own assassination and instructed his son Bilawal
to name his sister, Faryal Talpur, as president.
The shadowy conspiracies and the tensions between the
President Zardari and the powerful army has come out as Kayani
is quoted as telling the US Ambassador during a March 2009
meeting that he "might however reluctantly" pressure Zardari
Kayani was quoted as saying that he might support
Asfandyar Wali Khan, leader of the Awami National Party as the
new President-- and not Zardari`s arch foe Nawaz Sharif. The
powerful Army Chief revealed that he had little time for the
leader of the opposition Sharif.
"Kayani made it clear regardless how much he dislikes
Zardari, he distrusted Nawaz Sharif even more", the US Ambassador Anne Patterson wrote.
The cables revealed that the US vice president told
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown that Zardari had told him
"Kayani will take me out".
`Guardian` quoting the leaked documents said, Zardari is
frank about the strength of the Taliban ? "I`m sorry to say
this but we are not winning" the war against extremists he
told US Vice-President Joe Biden.
"I am not Benazir, and I know it," he told US ambassador
Anne Patterson after his wife`s death.
The Pakistan President reportedly feared a fresh army
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad