Kenya sweeps all the titles at world cross country
Nairobi: Joseph Ebuya and Emily Chebet headed a Kenyan sweep of the individual and team medals at the world cross country championships in Bydgoszcz on Sunday for the first time since 1994.
Ebuya became the first Kenyan to win the senior men`s 12-kms title since Paul Tergat won his fifth and final race in Belfast in 1999. Chebet won the women`s eight-kms title while Kenya also won both the individual and team junior titles.
Eritrea`s Teklemariam Medhin took the early lead in the senior men`s race but Ebuya stayed in touch and strode to the front in the closing stages to win in exactly 33 minutes. Medhin was second six seconds behind.
In the women`s race, Chebet outsprinted team mate Linet Masai, who had done all the early work on a muddy course, to win in 24 minutes 19 seconds.
Masai, the world 10,000 metres champion, finished one second behind with Ethiopian Meselech Melkamu in third place, her fifth world cross country bronze medal.
Ethiopia`s three-times world champion Tirunesh Dibaba finished out of the medals in fourth place.
Tergat and another multiple former champion John Ngugi hailed their teams` performances.
"It is a great day for us Kenyans. I am so excited that they have brought back the senior men`s 12-kms title and all the other titles," Tergat told reporters by telephone from Cape Town.
"It has been a long wait and it makes me happy that we fought so gallantly."
Ngugi said the performances showed that Kenyan talent had not been properly harnessed previously.
"It also shows that with proper training Kenyans are still the leading cross country nation. My congratulations to them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared