Kenya`s Mutai wins Delhi Half Marathon
New Delhi: Kenya`s Geoffrey Mutai on Sunday won the men`s elite category race in Delhi Half Marathon in 59:38secs while Ethiopia`s Aselefech Mergia won the women`s race.
Last year`s winner in the men`s section, Deriba Merga of Ethiopia pulled out of the event at the last hour due to poor form and injury problem.
Mutai, a long distance runner who specialises in road race competitions, faced stiff competition from Ethiopians Lelisa Desisa and first timer Yacob Yarso, who finished second and third respectively.
Mutai, who recently clocked 2:04:55 at the Rotterdam Marathon, the second fastest time of the year, ran 59 minutes and 38 minutes to cover the 21.097 km and pocketed USD 25,000 winner`s purse.
Desisa, who was matching the pace of Mutai most of the distance, failed to accelerate towrads the end and clocked 59 minutes and 39 seconds to settle for a silver. Yarso clocked 1:00:07 to win the bronze.
In the women`s event, Mergia led an Ethiopian sweep, winning the race in one hour, eight minutes and 35 seconds with her compatriots Merima Mohammed (1:08:36) and Yimer Wude (1:08:36) coming second and third respectively.
Armyman Irappa D Akki (1:04:32) finished first among Indian men and overall 20th in the race. Railways` Santosh Kumar (1:04:35) and Ratti Ram Saini (1:04:35) came second and third among Indian runners.
Lalita Babar (1:18:05) was the fastest woman among Indians followed by Kiran Tiwari (1:18:55) and Geeta Rani Tushir (1:20:13).
Each of the Indian top finishers would be richer by USD 4000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days