Kerala boat mishap: Teenager`s body found; toll hits 45
Thekkady: The body of 19-year-old Abhilash was recovered by Navy divers from Kerala`s Thekkady lake Sunday morning, taking the toll from Wednesday`s boat capsize to 45, officials said.
Abhilash was the last of those listed as missing after the boat tragedy in the lake in the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
"The body of 19-year-old Abhilash from Hyderabad was recovered after it was found floating near the accident site. The navy is likely to call off their search operation soon," Kumily Circle Inspector Anil Sreenivas said.
Three bodies, including that of Abhilash`s 14-year-old sister Apoorva, were recovered Saturday. Their bodies would be transported to Hyderabad from Kochi later Sunday.
Sreenivas added that the state police intelligence department has confirmed that a couple from Mysore, who were reported to be in Thekkady but their whereabouts were not known, were back in their hometown.
The double-decker boat owned by the state-run Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) capsized Wednesday evening.
The dead include 14 from Tamil Nadu, 12 from Delhi, seven from Andhra Pradesh, five from West Bengal, three each from Karnataka and Kerala and one from Mumbai.
The double-decker fiberglass boat that capsized had been pressed into service just last month. Chief Boat Inspector M. Mathews had Friday given a clean chit to the boat and said it might have capsized because the driver made a sharp turn.
The Crime Branch of the police, which is inquiring into the accident, is to submit its report to the government on Monday.
KTDC had Saturday suspended boat driver Victor Samuel and two other staff members. Samuel, who is convalescing in a hospital near here, had said that he was not experienced enough to drive this new boat.
The state government has already announced that they would initiate a judicial probe into the incident by a sitting judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25