Kerala boat tragedy: Toll mounts to 44, driver suspended
Thekkady: The toll in the Thekkady tourist boat tragedy mounted to 44 on Saturday with rescuers recovering the bodies of a woman and two children.
Search was still on in the lake here for the fourth day today as one more person who had boarded the boat was still missing, officials said.
The Government has suspended the steerman Victor and an assistant crew member of the vessel which capsized in the lake here on Wednesday after cruising five km.
The rescuers first fished out the body of five-year-old Aiswarya in the small hours and that of her mother Senthil Kumari (36) later. The body of Aiswarya`s father, Rakasekharan from Chennai, was recovered on Thursday.
The body of another girl, Apurva (14) from Hyderabad, was also pulled out from the lake and rescuers were now scouring for the body of her brother, District Collector Ashok Kumar Singh said.
A preliminary probe into Kerala`s worst-ever boat tragedy in the Thekkady lake located in the Periyar Wildlife sanctuary had said that the sudden swerving of the vessel by the steerman was a possible reason for the mishap.
The Chief Inspector Boats had said in his note that other factors like change in the speed of the double-decker boat or strong winds could have caused the vessel to turn.
He had ruled out chances of the boat having any mechanical problem as it was launched only recently by the Kerala State Tourism Development Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA