Kerala boat tragedy: Toll mounts to 44, driver suspended
Thekkady: The toll in the Thekkady tourist boat tragedy mounted to 44 on Saturday with rescuers recovering the bodies of a woman and two children.
Search was still on in the lake here for the fourth day today as one more person who had boarded the boat was still missing, officials said.
The Government has suspended the steerman Victor and an assistant crew member of the vessel which capsized in the lake here on Wednesday after cruising five km.
The rescuers first fished out the body of five-year-old Aiswarya in the small hours and that of her mother Senthil Kumari (36) later. The body of Aiswarya`s father, Rakasekharan from Chennai, was recovered on Thursday.
The body of another girl, Apurva (14) from Hyderabad, was also pulled out from the lake and rescuers were now scouring for the body of her brother, District Collector Ashok Kumar Singh said.
A preliminary probe into Kerala`s worst-ever boat tragedy in the Thekkady lake located in the Periyar Wildlife sanctuary had said that the sudden swerving of the vessel by the steerman was a possible reason for the mishap.
The Chief Inspector Boats had said in his note that other factors like change in the speed of the double-decker boat or strong winds could have caused the vessel to turn.
He had ruled out chances of the boat having any mechanical problem as it was launched only recently by the Kerala State Tourism Development Corporation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?