Kerala govt challenges CAT order
Kochi: The Kerala government on Monday filed an
appeal in the High Court challenging a Central Administrative
Tribunal order, staying the suspension of senior IPS officer
Tomin J Thachankary who had been suspended from service after
he undertook a foreign trip without informing the government.
In the appeal, the government submitted that the CAT
order of April 23 should be quashed as it was `arbitrary` and
`illegal` and would also set a bad precedent and send a wrong
message to erring officials.
Thachankary, former IGP (Kannur), had a `controversial
career record.` There had been a series of allegations,
vigilance investigation, vigilance inquiry, criminal cases and
disciplinary actions against him, the government submitted.
In 2007, Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau had
registered a case against Thachankary relating to amassing of
wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income and for
Thachankary was suspended from service pending inquiry on
July 10, 2007 and was out of service for 15 months. The probe
was continuing even now, it was stated.
He had also illegally imported electronic goods from
Singapore, misused official vehicle, undertook frequent visits
abroad and possessed multiple passports. A criminal case was
pending against him before a Magistrate court at Alapuzha on
the charge of lock-up torture, the government said.
It was stated that Thachankary applied for Leave Travel
Concession initially from February 15 this year to March 20.
However, in a letter dated March 25, he sought LTC postponement
and requested it from April 3 to April 9, stating that he was
availing LTA to go to Gangtok in Sikkim. On March 30,
government passed the order sanctioning his LTC.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?