Keshubhai`s GPP registered as political party by ECI
Ahmedabad: Former chief minister Keshubhai Patel`s newly-launched Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) has become a registered party with the Election Commission of India, enabling its candidates to fight the upcoming state polls on a common symbol.
"We have secured recognition from the ECI within one month after the application.
This is a major boost to our party as all our candidates will be able to fight elections on one symbol," GPP general secretary Gordhan Zadafia announced here today.
"We will be fielding candidates in all the 182 assembly constituencies and are sure of getting majority in the elections," Zadafia said.
GPP was formed on August 6 2012, after Keshubhai revolted against leadership of Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi and quit the BJP.
"Since the formation of the new party, efforts were going on to get the party registered with the ECI or else every candidate of the party would have to fight the elections on separate symbols," he added.
Keshubhai is carrying out his campaigns through his Parivartan Yatra, which will end on October 31 in the city.
Zadafia said the response to the yatra was phenomenal and its impact would be seen in the upcoming polls.
Elections are scheduled to be held in the state in two phases on December 13 and 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH