KG Basin gas row figures in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The CPI(M) today welcomed in the Rajya Sabha the government`s stand that an important resource like natural gas from the KG Basin cannot become a subject of private disputes.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tapan Kumar Sen of the (CPI-M) said the country`s natural resources, including KG Basin gas reserves, "cannot be held hostage" to private players and families.
Welcoming the government`s assertion that transparent pricing and the distribution mechanism are under state control, Sen said there is no justification in pricing natural gas by linking it to international rates. He also sought prices should be lowered.
Sen said the government should take over and nationalise the distribution and marketing of natural gas, including that of KG Basin.
He demanded there should be a natural gas grid on the lines of the electricity grid.
The government, in its special leave petition before the Supreme Court last week, sought a direction to declare "null and void" the Ambani family settlement, as also a stay on the June 15 Bombay High Court order asking RIL to supply gas to Reliance ADA Group firm RNRL in accordance with the family deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport