Khaki to khadi -- Ex-cop in running in Wadala: Hindustan Times
Mumbai: A retired policeman from Thane plans to contest the state election, with police reforms as his main agenda.
Baban Jadhav (60), who retired in 2007 as assistant police inspector, is contesting as an Independent from Wadala, with the whistle as his election symbol.
Among his priorities are tackling corruption within the force and improving housing for policemen. Jadhav says he chose Wadala because of the many police housing colonies here — over 50,000 policemen live in the region.
“I could win just with the policemen’s vote,” he said. “But I wanted the civilians with me too.”
Towards that end, Jadhav has promised, among other things, to appoint a citizens committee to decide how his MLA fund should be used.
His main focus, though, will be cleaning up the force.
“The police are working under immense pressure and interference from high-ranking officials and politicians,” he said. “I have experienced this interference in my 37 years of service. I want to expose this corruption and lack of transparency.”
Jadhav is among 10 candidates in this constituency, the most prominent being sitting Congress MLA Kalidas Kolambkar (56) and the Shiv Sena’s Digambar Kadarkar (53).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case