Khurshid made statement as politician: Moily
Bangalore: Union Minister Salman Khurshid found some support from his ministerial colleague M Veerappa Moily, who argued on Friday that he made the statement on
sub-quota as a political leader and this should have been considered by the Election Commission before censuring him.
"Some of the times...as political leaders we give statements," the Corporate Affairs Minister told reporters in reply to question on the EC move.
Moily, who headed the Law Ministry before Khurshid, said the latter made the statement not as a minister but as a "political party...political leader".
"That`s a matter (Khurshid making the statement as a politician; not as a minister) which has to be considered by the Election Commission of India," he said.
Moily hastened to add that he would not like to comment on the Election Commission notice to Khurshid, saying the EC has done its duty. "Appropriate reply will be given by Salman Khurshid," he added.
Khurshid was censured by the Election Commission for violating the model code of conduct.
While campaigning for his wife Louise, a Congress candidate from Farrukhabad Assembly constituency in Uttar Pradesh, Khurshid had announced that his party would increase the sub-quota for minorities to nine percent, out of the 27
per cent reservation of OBCs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days