Khurshid made statement as politician: Moily
Bangalore: Union Minister Salman Khurshid found some support from his ministerial colleague M Veerappa Moily, who argued on Friday that he made the statement on
sub-quota as a political leader and this should have been considered by the Election Commission before censuring him.
"Some of the times...as political leaders we give statements," the Corporate Affairs Minister told reporters in reply to question on the EC move.
Moily, who headed the Law Ministry before Khurshid, said the latter made the statement not as a minister but as a "political party...political leader".
"That`s a matter (Khurshid making the statement as a politician; not as a minister) which has to be considered by the Election Commission of India," he said.
Moily hastened to add that he would not like to comment on the Election Commission notice to Khurshid, saying the EC has done its duty. "Appropriate reply will be given by Salman Khurshid," he added.
Khurshid was censured by the Election Commission for violating the model code of conduct.
While campaigning for his wife Louise, a Congress candidate from Farrukhabad Assembly constituency in Uttar Pradesh, Khurshid had announced that his party would increase the sub-quota for minorities to nine percent, out of the 27
per cent reservation of OBCs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly