Khurshid tightlipped on EC`s move against him
Lucknow: In the thick of controversy over his remarks on minorities` sub-quota, Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Sunday refused to comment on Election Commission`s move seeking "immediate and decisive" intervention of President Pratibha Patil.
"I will not talk to anyone.... Do I refuse you (media)...when I have to say something I say it," Khurshid told reporters when asked about the EC`s yesterday`s
State Congress leader Abid Hussain insisted that the matter was between the President and the EC and so the minister has chosen not to speak on the issue.
"As a member of the Cabinet, the issue on which you (media) want to talk is between the two constitutional authorities, the President and the EC, and the minister has clearly said that he will not give any reaction to electronic or print media," he said.
In an unprecedented action, the EC had last night sought the "immediate and decisive" intervention of the President after it charged Khurshid with "improper and unlawful" defiance of its orders under which he was censured for
promising sub-quota for minorities.
In a strongly-worded communication to Patil, the Commission had said Khurshid`s action could "vitiate free and fair polls" in Uttar Pradesh and that the EC was "perturbed because the undermining of its constitutionally-mandated
duties has come from the Law Minister who has direct responsibility to uphold and strengthen the EC rather than to
The Commission took the unprecedented decision to
complain against a union minister to the President after
Khurshid had told an election rally in UP on Friday night that
he would continue to pursue the line on nine percent
sub-quota for minorities `even if they (EC) hang me`.
Khurshid had earlier been censured for the same
statement made on January 8 while campaigning in UP, with EC
holding it as violative of the Model Code of Conduct.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference