Kidney racket unearthed in Delhi, say police
New Delhi: Police on Saturday claimed to have
unearthed a kidney racket in the national capital with the
arrest of a person who allegedly duped a man of Rs 50,000 as
advance money for arranging documents and a kidney donor for
Vinod Kumar, a resident of Vikas Vihar in Uttam Nagar,
was arrested from the gate near the casualty of Safdarjung
Hospital yesterday. He had taken the money from Vivek Ranjan,
promising to arrange a kidney for his ailing mother, a senior
police official said.
Kumar, who was earlier also arrested under
Transplantation of Human Organs Act, had promised Ranjan that
he would arrange a kidney for his bedridden 67-year-old mother
who had been suffering from severe kidney ailment for last
five years and had to undergo dialysis thrice a week.
The victim`s mother was in dire need of a kidney
transplant and despite the best possible efforts by the family
and relatives, the blood group of willing donor did
not match with that of the recipient.
So, he approached the accused, who demanded Rs 2.5 lakh
for the kidney and also took Rs 50,000 as advance on the
pretext of arranging the documents and a donor in the next two
days, the official said.
But after repeated efforts, he neither gave the money
back nor provided the donor, but disappeared with the money.
Kumar was arrested from Safdarjung Hospital where he had
allegedly come to reorganise his gang after the arrest of his
accomplices Satish and Kailash, who were earlier arrested with
him at PS Mandir Marg in connection with an illegal organ
During interrogation, police claimed he revealed that he
was involved in similar offences and had transplanted the
kidneys of more than 25 persons at different hospitals.
He had collected about Rs 5 lakh from different persons
on the pretext of arranging documents and donor for kidney
transplantation. The efforts were being made to identify his
accomplices, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash