Kim Clijsters out for four to six weeks
Brussels: World number two Kim Clijsters confirmed she will be sidelined for between four to six weeks with shoulder and wrist injuries.
The reigning Australian Open champion will miss the Fed Cup semi-final against the Czech Republic later this month, and the Madrid WTA tournament from April 30 to May 8.
"I think this is a great pity," said Clijsters, 27, on her website.
"The Fed Cup is something I was really looking forward to. But I felt that something was out of the ordinary: There were too many minor ailments, one after the other, which did not seem to disappear. Something like that gets into your head."
"I don`t want to force anything, because I want to prevent it from becoming chronic by any means. I really want to be there at this year`s Roland Garros."
"Now there is no other option than to rest and I certainly can`t use a tennis racket for the first few weeks. We will continue with lots of physiotherapy and exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles."
If all goes according to plan the four-time Grand Slam winner hopes to be fit to return for the Rome tournament on May 9, two weeks before the French Open where she was runner-up in 2001 and 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?