Kim Clijsters out for four to six weeks
Brussels: World number two Kim Clijsters confirmed she will be sidelined for between four to six weeks with shoulder and wrist injuries.
The reigning Australian Open champion will miss the Fed Cup semi-final against the Czech Republic later this month, and the Madrid WTA tournament from April 30 to May 8.
"I think this is a great pity," said Clijsters, 27, on her website.
"The Fed Cup is something I was really looking forward to. But I felt that something was out of the ordinary: There were too many minor ailments, one after the other, which did not seem to disappear. Something like that gets into your head."
"I don`t want to force anything, because I want to prevent it from becoming chronic by any means. I really want to be there at this year`s Roland Garros."
"Now there is no other option than to rest and I certainly can`t use a tennis racket for the first few weeks. We will continue with lots of physiotherapy and exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles."
If all goes according to plan the four-time Grand Slam winner hopes to be fit to return for the Rome tournament on May 9, two weeks before the French Open where she was runner-up in 2001 and 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note